The AIDA H2020 Consortium funded by the European Commission is looking to cover several positions at the doctoral and postdoctoral level. The AIDA consortium is composed by KU Leuven in Belgium; CWI in The Netherlands; University of Calabria, University of Pisa and CINECA in Italy; CNRS in France; IRIDA in Greece and by Space Consulting in USA.
The activities of AIDA will focus on the development of modelling and data analysis from multiple space missions of processes in the solar corona (flares, CMEs), in the solar wind and in the Earth’s magnetosphere. The work will be primarily in the development of new methods for data analysis and simulation, focusing especially on machine learning and artificial intelligence but covering also more traditional data analysis methods. Knowledge of the python programming language is critical in most tasks. The work will be based on the extensive previous expertise in the field of high performance computing, space science and its application to space weather within the consortium.
The selected candidates will have expertise in at least one of the following areas:
- Machine Learning, Deep Neural Networks, Bayesian Methods
- Solar, Magnetospheric and Solar wind data analysis
- Expertise on computer programming with Python, C, C++ or Fortran.
- Plasma physics, astrophysics or space physics,
- Numerical methods for fluid dynamics, MHD, and kinetic plasma physics (particle in cell methods, Vlasov Eulerian methods).
The researchers will have access to large parallel computer facilities and to a stimulating research environment within the AIDA consortium. The researchers will be employed by specific partners of AIDA, but collaborations with other centers are encouraged. The list of open positions include:
- 1 PhD student position at KULeuven, Belgium: 4 years are the expected duration of a PhD at KULeuven: Details and Application
- 1 PostDoc position at KULeuven, Belgium: the position will be for up to 3 years. Details and Application
- 1 Postdoc position at Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI), Amsterdam, The Netherlands, up to 3 years. Details and Application
- 1 Postdoc position at the Department of Physics (UNIPI), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy up to 2 years. Details and Application Link: (see contact below). Required specializations: points 4, 5, 3.
- 2 Postdoc positions at the Department of Physics (UNICAL), University of Calabria, Rende (CS), Italy, of the duration of two years each. Details and Application Link: (see contact below)
- 2 PostDoc positions at the Laboratory of Plasma Physics (CNRS), Paris, France: the duration of each position will be 1 year. Details and Application Link: (see contact below)
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be made directly to partner hiring. Contact persons are:
- KULeuven: Prof. Giovanni Lapenta (tel: +32 16 327965, email: email@example.com).
- CWI: Dr. Enrico Camporeale (tel: +31 20 592 4240, email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- UNIPI: Prof. Francesco Califano (tel: +39 050 2214 862, email@example.com)
- UNICAL: Dr. Sergio Servidio (tel: +39 0984 496138, firstname.lastname@example.org), Dr. Francesco Valentini (tel: +39 0984 496129, email@example.com
- CNRS: Dr. Alessandro Retinò (tel: +33 1 69335929, firstname.lastname@example.org), Dr. Fouad Sahraoui (tel: +33 1 69335922, email@example.com)
The review of the applications will begin on August 1, for full consideration it is advisable to send the applications before that date. The preferred start date for employment is September or October but it can be adjusted based on the candidate’s needs.